Good morning! Last night I tried something a little different for dinner, and I really enjoyed it! I love making quesadillas when I don’t have a lot of time. Black beans is always a go-to for me as a filler, but I wanted to change up my usual secondary fillings of veggies and cheese, so here is what I came up with. Black beans plus the added tofu provide a good amount of protein for us vegetarians! Change up your Mexican-inspired dinners with my Tofu Mango Bean Quesadillas!
Tofu Mango Bean Quesadillas
- 2 FiberOne honey wheat tortillas (80kcals each)
- 1 1/2 cups extra firm tofu, cut into about 1x1in squares and pressed between some paper towels to draw out some of the moisture
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1 small mango, chopped into fairly small pieces; you will use about 1/2 cup
- handful of low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- black pepper, paprika, garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp your favorite salsa
In a sauté pan, spray a little cooking spray and cook your tofu about 3 minutes on each side or until it gets a little golden brown. Season each side with a little paprika and black pepper. Once your tofu has cooked, remove it from the heat and cut each square in half to make smaller pieces.
I used a George Foreman grill to cook my quesadilla, but you can use whatever you have on hand, whether that be a grill or a skillet. Place one of your tortillas down and space out your tofu. Add your black beans, mango pieces, cheese, a hefty sprinkle of paprika, a little dash of garlic powder, and black pepper. Place the other tortilla on top and press until the tortillas have nice grill marks and the cheese is melted. When finished, cut into 4 pieces and top with your favorite salsa!
I have had a quesadilla similar to this with pineapple, beans, and no tofu, and that was great as well. Enjoy!