Ok, so long weekends are the best right?! I don’t think there is one person that I talked to today that wasn’t excited about having a little extra time this weekend to spend with family, friends, or soaking up the Arizona heat.
Summertime holiday weekends are typically filled with cookouts and fun activities, but do you ever get sick of the same old hamburger, hot dog, potato salad menu? Don’t get me wrong, I love a good potato salad, but sometimes I just want something a little different!
Today I’m going to pull some of my favorite recipes for cookouts and summer time parties. I’m also going to give you some tips on how to liven up these recipes even more and tailor them to whatever function you are attending or hosting!
- Instead of regular burgers, try these turkey burgers with a fun twist!
- For a spicy flare, add 1/2 can of green chilies, a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese, a and a pinch of chili powder.
- For a more salty/savory burger, mix in 1 Tsp of dried thyme and 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese!
2. Instead of regular pasta salad, try this creamier avocado pasta salad!
- Add various veggies that you enjoy; you don’t have to just stick to what is in the recipe! Try cooked green beans, snack peas, red pepper, etc!
3. For dessert, skip the typically cupcakes or cookies and go for something fun, festive, and light!
- Add different fruit that fits the occasion. For example, for Memorial day, add blue and red fruit (such as strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries) for a more patriotic look!
4. Need another side that will keep well for leftovers? Take a spin off the normal salad!
- Swap the golden raisins for cranberries or use green apple instead of Gala for a more “tart” and crisp bite!